Summary Jerome Kern is considered one of the most versatile and influential of all American theatre and film composers. The Jerome Kern Encyclopedia consists of entries on people, theatre and film musicals, songs, subjects, and themes related to the composer.
Download The Jerome Kern Encyclopedia Ebook Online
Not only are all of Kern's stage and screen projects covered, but there are also entries on all the major librettists and lyricists with whom he worked, as well as producers, directors, actors, and other individuals who figured prominently in his career. Approximately of Kern's most important songs are discussed, and other entries address awards, collaborations, working methods, song styles, and other related subjects.
- A Divine Connection: Experiencing a Moment: Keep Pushing Forward!
- Navigation menu?
- Disney Songbook (Guitar Chord Songbook).
- Sources: The Jerome Kern Encyclopedia | Carr | Reference & User Services Quarterly.
- The Jerome Kern encyclopedia in SearchWorks catalog?
- The Bodies That Were Not Ours: And Other Writings!
- Prairie Song.
The encyclopedia also includes a brief biography of Kern, a chronology of his life and work, and appendices on recordings, interpolations, revivals, and remakes. Bibliographic information.
- Browse more videos.
- Works of Plutarch.
- Kern, Jerome!
- Navigation menu.
Publication date ISBN cloth : alk. Browse related items Start at call number: ML K H57 Librarian view Catkey: Dick Thomas S.
- Android Programming Painless (Tutorial Book Book 1).
- India Migration Report 2011: Migration, Identity and Conflict: Volume 2.
- Keep Exploring Britannica.
- Business valuation of Tesco: Calculation of different valuation methods and presentation of differences between them..
- Hubert Shrubb Takes Charge by Sue Graves (Paperback, 2012).
- Venus in the Dark: Blackness and Beauty in Popular Culture.
The Jerome Kern Encyclopedia. Scarecrow Press: Lanham, MD, Thomas Hischak belongs to a select group of scholars who have elevated the Broadway and Hollywood musical to an art form. All one has to do is peruse his Oxford Companion to the American Musical to realize that a type of entertainment once taken for granted [End Page 67] has moved to a higher level, somewhere between opera and operetta, but not on the lower rungs of pop culture.
There are also four appendices: a chronology of stage works and films, interpolations in other musicals and films, a discography, and a list of Tony and Oscar nominations and awards. The Show Boat entry is a model of compression, encompassing the various stage and film versions of the musical, including the legendary Harold Prince revival that won five Tony awards.
There is much to be gleaned from the Encyclopedia. His pioneer work in developing a truly American musical sound inspired many of the great songwriters of the s, s, and s, and his songs include dozens of beloved standards still heard today, such as ';Smoke Gets in Your Eyes' and ';The Way You Look Tonight. Not only are all of Kern's stage and screen projects from to covered, but there are also entries on all the major librettists and lyricists with whom he worked, as well as producers, directors, actors, and other individuals who figured prominently in his career.
Approximately of Kern's most important songs are discussed, and other entries address awards, collaborations, working methods, song styles, and other related subjects.